June 02, 2015

Week tour in West Lithuania. 1 day

     Long time ago I wanted to cycle in the Lithuanian seaside and this year I finally decided to do it. I had many doubts, if I am strong enough to cycle every day one week long, but it couldn't stop me from this adventure. And there, I need to say thanks to my friends who supported my idea :)
     Instead of doing some cycling training I just analyzed maps, bought a nice guide book with detailed maps of West Lithuania, made the plan where to cycle and what to visit, found the cheapest possibilities to stay at nights, arranged some meetings with relatives on this road, packed my things and went!

     23 May. First day of my trip started early, as I had to be at the bus station at 6.30 h for the bus which took me 130 km away from Kaunas - to the small town Vilkyškiai. There I ate the breakfast in front of Vilkyškiai manor and started my cycling trip in Rambynas Regional Park.
Vilkyškiai manor





     The sun was shining and I was happy to enjoy the surrounding of my ride:
Witch spruce (with 17 trunks)
Oak alley (for old trees the spring comes slowly)
Many lilacs near the way
     After cycling about 10 km on the graveled road and sun getting hot, I felt quite tired and decided to do a little stop near the forest, to pump up a bit the tire and for this stop I had a nice company - the cuckoo came to say "coucou" to me and look what I was doing. Next 10 km was also graveled road near Lithuania/Russia (Kaliningrad Oblast) border, half way - in front of quite strong wind and it was uncomfortable. As there weren't many things to see around, I started to think, that it was wrong decision to choose this road, but I had no way back, just forward until Rambynas hill, from where will be good road to continue my trip.
Cycling near the border with Russia
Other side of the river - Russia (Kaliningrad Oblast)



The view from Rambynas hill
     Finally the graveled road ended and I had better conditions to cycle, but the rest of the way (more than 40 km) until Šilutė, where I should stop for the night, I needed to cycle against the wind. Usually I like to feel the wind when cycling, but that day it was too much and very soon I was tired of it. Probably, it was the hardest part of my trip, but I tried to stay positive.

Pagėgiai
Somewhere near the road. For sell. Someone wants to buy it? :)

The road
     I reached Šilutė with first drops of the rain. Must to wash up before going to the city, right? So, I couldn't be angry for this rain :) I found my hostel easily, left my bike inside and went for walking city tour under the rain and buy some food for the dinner. After cycled a bit more than 80 km that day, it was great to walk a bit and to rest.
Šilutė
Šilutė
The bridge for trains in Šilutė
First day distance



No comments:

Post a Comment